A payment represents money your camp has received.
Electronic payments can be transacted through CampSite (via your payment gateway). Non-electronic payments (transacted outside of CampSite) can also be recorded in CampSite by an admin user, via the family's profile page.
To learn about refunding payments, please click here.
Every payment is assigned to at least one transaction category, allowing for financial reporting on payments and credits per category. However, payments are not assigned to specific sessions or campers. That said, you cannot report on payments per session or identify payments for specific campers within a family of multiple campers.
CampSite calculates a family's balance for an enrollment year by totaling together all of their campers' charges and discounts. Payments and credits are then applied to reduce the balance.
In this article, learn how to:
Note that an admin user's ability to create, reverse, or delete transactions is determined by their user account permission settings. For more details, click here.
Add a Payment
To manually add a payment to a family's account, open the "Financial" tab of the family's profile page.
From the Transactions tab, click the "New payment" button. A pop-up window with four sections will open:
- Assign a date to the transaction.
- Choose a payment schedule. CampSite will apply the payment towards the balance of that schedule.
- Choose a payment method.
- Choosing 'credit card' or 'checking account' will transact this payment via your payment gateway using the saved credit card/bank account that you also select.
- Choosing a non-electronic method (i.e. anything other than 'credit card' or 'checking account') will only record this payment in CampSite, but will not transact funds via your gateway.
- Type the amount of the payment.
Every transaction in CampSite must be assigned to at least one of your transaction categories, for financial reporting purposes. In the "Category breakdown" section, assign which transaction category (or categories) this payment is assigned to.
Note: The transaction categories selected should correspond with the categories assigned to the charges that the family is paying for. For example, if the family is paying for charges assigned to "Tuition" and "Extended Care" categories, then their payment should be assigned to those 2 categories as well. Selecting categories for the payment, that are not affiliated with the family's charges, will lead to skewed financial reports.
You can reference the family's charge categories from the lefthand side of their Transactions tab. If needed, you can move the 'new payment' window out of the way by clicking and dragging the title bar around your screen.
- Select one of your transaction categories
- Enter the amount of payment to allocate to this category *
- Optional: Add a description **
- Click to add another category breakdown (if you wish to allocate the payment to more than one category)
- Double click to delete a category breakdown if needed
- Reference the remaining amount of the overall payment that still needs to be allocated to a transaction category. This must read $0.00 when you're finished.
* The amount(s) allocated must add up to the total payment amount.
** Descriptions will show to parents on their statement, and can also be useful to admins when running financial reports.
Next, you must specify how the payment should be allocated towards the family's invoices (for their payment schedule).
Once an invoice is generated and sent to a family, the invoice will show an "amount due." Apply the payment to a particular invoice by allocating the payment as needed within the "Invoice breakdown" section.
- View a list of all invoices that are currently open OR upcoming (for the payment schedule selected in the Payment details section for the payment).
- Allocate the payment towards an invoice (by typing the amount into the corresponding box).
- You cannot allocate payment towards an invoice that does not have an amount due (per the "Amount due" column).
- If applicable, you can allocate portions of the payment across multiple invoices/"no invoice" in particular.
- See the amount due for each invoice.
- By allocating a portion (or all) of the payment towards "No invoice" in particular (e.g. if no invoices have an "Amount due"), the payment will be evenly distributed and applied across all of the invoices listed in the Invoice Breakdown section.
- Optional: Select to have CampSite automatically email the family an updated financial statement (which will include this new payment) as soon as the payment is submitted
- Click Submit to create the payment in CampSite
If you selected "Credit card" or "checking account" as the payment method, Campsite will send the transaction to your payment gateway as soon as you click submit. Your payment gateway processes all transactions sent from CampSite in batch, once a day. To determine exactly when your payment gateway will start processing the transactions you submit via CampSite today, please contact your gateway directly.
Edit a Payment
Certain details on a payment transaction can be edited after the payment is created in CampSite.
Learn how to edit an existing payment via our Editing a Transaction article.
Reverse or Delete a Payment
The CampSite Support team is able to void payments for you if you use Constellation Payments as your payment gateway provider. If you’re not using Constellation Payments, you must contact your payment gateway directly to request a void.
Reversing or deleting a payment allows you to remove the payment from calculating towards the family's account balance in CampSite, in the case that the transaction did not actually occur.
The most common scenarios for reversing or deleting a payment are:
- A check payment that bounced.
- A checking account payment that was returned for insufficient funds.
- An admin user had a credit card or checking account payment voided from the payment gateway.
To learn how to reverse or delete a transaction, please click here.