When you need to return payment that you previously received from a family, create a new Refund transaction. Note that CampSite will never issue a refund automatically (e.g. even if you're unenrolling a camper or reversing a family's charges) - a refund must always be manually processed by an administrator.
For credit card payments, you can either return the full amount of an existing payment that was already made, or create a custom refund for the amount of your choice (referred to as a 'partial refund'). For checking account payments, you must refund the original payment in full (partial refunds are not permitted).
Note that refunds to credit cards typically take 7-10 business days, but can take longer depending on the cardholder's financial institution. ACH/E-check refunds typically take 1-3 business days.
Creating a Refund
Refunds are created within the Financial tab of the family's profile page (under the Transactions sub-tab, below the "Payments, Credits, and Refunds" section).
Issuing a Full Refund
To return an entire payment, locate the previous payment and open the transaction details by double clicking the info icon.
A pop-up window will open with the full transaction details. At the bottom of the pop-up window, click the "Refund the full ... payment" button to initiate a full refund of this particular payment to the original payment method.
After clicking this button, confirm that you wish to refund this payment by clicking "OK." Next, the family's profile page will refresh and a new refund transaction will display within the Payments, Credits, and Refunds section.
Issuing a Partial Refund
The steps for issuing a partial refund vary depending on the payment gateway provider your camp is using.
For camps using our preferred payment gateway - Constellation - use the New Refund button to create a partial refund for the amount of your choice.
In the pop-up window that opens, enter the transaction details for the refund.
- Assign a date to the transaction.
- Place the refund on a payment schedule. Select the same schedule that their original payment was made towards.
- Choose a payment method for the refund. If you do not see 'Credit card', your financial settings do not allow for partial credit card refunds. Manage this setting by going to Admin > Campers tab > Financial: Settings > Allow partial credit card refunds = Yes.
- For credit card refunds, choose one of the family's saved credit cards.
- Type the amount of the refund.
- Allocate the refund amount towards at least one transaction category.
- Select a category. Select the same category that was applied to the payment(s) that you're refunding.
- Enter how much of the refund should be allocated towards this category. If you're only selecting one category, enter the full refund amount.
- Enter a description (which will reflect on the family's statement/your financial reports).
- Optional: Add another breakdown to allocate the refund towards multiple transaction categories.
- Allocate the payment towards the family's payment schedule:
- To apply the refund towards an open invoice, enter the refund amount in the 'Amount' box next to that invoice date.
- If the family does not have an open invoice, enter the refund amount in the 'Amount' box next to 'No invoice.' The refund will be evenly applied across all invoices when they're generated in the future.
- Click Submit to create the refund transaction.