Defined stop bus routes stop at several specific stops (e.g. cross streets) to pick up/drop off campers.
When completing their transportation form(s), campers who select this type of bus must select a specific defined stop for pickup and/or drop off. Depending on your transportation form settings, campers can either choose different stops for each direction, or be required to choose the same stop for both.
In this article, learn how to:
- Create a defined stop bus
- Manage the route for a defined stop bus
- Edit door-to-door bus details
- Clone a defined stop bus to the other direction
- Assign staff counselors to a door-to-door bus
Creating a Defined Stop Bus
First, add a bus and provide the overall bus details.
Click "+ Add bus..." from the Transportation Dashboard.
- Assign the bus name. Parents are presented the bus by name on your transportation form.
- Select Day or Residential mode
- Select Arriving or Departing direction
- Select Defined Stop as the route type
- Set the time when the bus will arrive or depart from the address you designate
- Provide the origin or departure address
- Origin address (for Arriving buses): where the bus will leave from to travel to the first defined stop.
- Destination address (for Departing buses): where the bus will park after the last defined stop.
- Provide a bus description. Parents are presented the description after selecting the bus.
After submitting, you'll be redirected to another page for managing the bus details, including which defined stops the bus will make.
Manage the route for a defined stop bus
Next, define the specific stops that this bus will make. You can either use CampSite's Route Creation Wizard or define the stops manually.
As soon as you add a new defined bus, a pop-up will prompt you to use the Route Creation Wizard. Click the route creation wizard link to proceed, or close the modal and add the stops manually.
Using the Route Creation Wizard
Click here to redirect to our article on how to use the Route Creation Wizard.
Add/edit defined stops manually
Click the link to enable route editing controls.
Click to add more stops to the route, or edit/delete existing stops.
Delete all stops
To recreate the route from scratch (via the Route Creation Wizard or manually), delete all stops via the bus settings.
- Click 'Manage bus settings" in the top left section of this page
- Scroll to the bottom of the pop-up window and click 'Delete all stops'
Note that stops can't be deleted if a camper has already selected them on their transportation form.
Manage the bus details
From the bus page, use the Bus Settings modal to change the bus name, time, address; capacity; linked bus, and also delete the bus if needed.
Click "Manage bus settings..."
Edit the overall bus details as needed and save changes.
- Origin time: The time the bus will leave the location where the bus is kept when not in use - i.e. when the bus driver will turn on the bus before driving to the first stop. Note that the origin time also affects the time for each stop if you choose to set defined stop times automatically when using the Route Creation Wizard.
- Origin location: The location where the bus will drive from to go to the first stop (e.g. where the bus is parked when not in use.)
- Arrival time: The time the bus will arrive at camp.
- Arrival location: The location where the bus will arrive to when the last stop is completed. This defaults to the the "summer address" on file for your database but can be customized here as needed.
- Departure time: The time the bus will depart from camp. Note that the departure time also affects the time for each stop if you choose to set defined stop times automatically when using the Route Creation Wizard.
- Departure location: The location where the bus will drive from to go to the first stop. This defaults to the "summer address" on file for your camp but can be customized here as needed.
- Destination time: The time the bus will arrive to the location where the bus is kept when not in use - i.e. when the bus driver will turn off the bus after completing the last stop.
- Destination location: The location where the bus will park when the last stop is completed. This defaults to the "summer address" on file for your camp but can be customized here as needed.
To delete the bus, click the Delete this bus button in the bottom left of the modal.
- If you don't see the option to "Delete this bus", the bus can't be deleted because it's currently in use. You can still remove the bus from your transportation form(s), however - click here to learn more.